11.08.2018

SETTLING IN

settle2

Hey again. I'm finally sitting down and writing my second blog posts about New York, and it's crazy to think that this is the first time in a few weeks I found some free time to do this. And that is actually one main thing I've noticed about New York, the hectic lifestyle and the everyday hustle really impacts, at least my life here, hugely. I noticed within the first few weeks that I hate being alone in my room doing nothing, which is something that I enjoyed a lot while I was living in Scotland. It just feels like you're waisting your time if you're not doing something here, and well, right now I really don't have much free time at all between school, my internship and trying to keep up with my social life.

But let's backtrack to the first month, how I felt, how long it took me to settle in and all of that. Well, first of all New York immediately felt like home. Some people say it takes time to settle in and it can be a huge culture shock when you come here, but for some reason I immediately found people that I got along really well with, I was comfortable going to places alone within the first week (even though I did get lost a few times), and I just love the energy that the city has. The city almost fuels me and keeps me motivated, and I want to be doing something here all the time. One of the things I definitely should learn is how to relax a bit, but on the other hand I really didn't come to the city to sleep or stay in my room the whole day, I came here to explore, meet new people and learn, and that's exactly what I've done for the past few months.

settle3

Even though I did settle in quite quickly, I'm not saying that it didn't take time to learn how the transport here works, and how to actually find time to have a normal day routine, like remember to go to the gym and eat healthy. And to be completely honest, I still haven't found that. Maybe it is because I'm always on the go, but it is quite hard to keep in track with your healthy habits when there's so much to do and see (and when Seamless has free delivery hahah). That was also one of those things that kinda came as a shock to me, because I used to care about my health so much and go to the gym up to 6 times a week. But then again, I'm willing to give myself a break from all of that while I'm here, and I mean you end up walking SO much every day, that you don't even realise how much you actually do "work out". I've lost quite a bit of weight while I've been here by just walking, and I've heard a lot of people say the same thing. You check your steps at the end of the day, and you've easily walked 15,000 steps without even realising it.

After orientation weeks, which were quite fun actually, and where I met all of my best friends now, it definitely started feeling like I actually did live in the city when before that I had felt as if I was still a tourist. Right now I'm so settled in it'll be a huge shock for me to leave, since I already know this is the city I eventually want to live in sometime in the future.

settle1

So I guess that's it for now. Next post I'll talk more about my internship, so again, if you have any questions just let me know in the comments below!

3 kommenttia:

  1. I really dont understand why some people feel the need to be so argumentative.
    The next time I come to this blog I will be sure to make better points.
    RCG Online Store

    VastaaPoista
  2. back to the time when people stepped outside their homes to interact with family and neighbors in home and community gardens and block-party barbeques? Does anybody even remember how nice those days were?
    Advantages of SEO

    VastaaPoista
  3. Online shopping is a form of e-commerce that allows consumers to purchase goods or services directly from online merchants using a web browser or mobile app. Export Left Overs

    VastaaPoista