11.29.2018

INTERNING WITH A STYLIST IN New York

photo1

Hi guys. Hope this topic will be interesting to all my fellow fashion lovers and people who also want to work in the industry in the future, especially in styling. Here in New York, I've been lucky enough to assist the stylist Jenny Haapala (and a few other stylists) for the past few months now, alongside being in school, and here I am letting you guys know all about it.

So, first of all you might wonder how are you able to do internships while you're in the US with a student Visa. Well, LIM has internships courses that exchange students can take, and that way also have an internship while being a student. It is a lot of paper work and a few assignments that you need to do for the course of course, but it's definitely worth it. Doing an internship and working in a city like New York has been once is a lifetime experience that has for sure changed my future career for good.

trippie

I've interned for a stylist before, but working with Jenny has taught me so much more about being a stylist. It is all about being organised, and it's important that you have a specific system that you follow that ensures that you're on top of everything that has to do with the clothes and accessories you'll be handling as a stylist. Us assistants are helping with it a lot: First of all we do a lot of pick-ups and returns, so I've basically been running around New York several times to different showrooms, designer offices and clothing stores, picking up and returning clothes and accessories for Jenny. Even though you might thing it would be cool to pick up a few clothes from places like the Gucci offices, it really isn't that glamorous at all. Taking a 30 minute subway somewhere just to pick up a few heavy garment bags, and bringing them back to the office (and doing that about 10 more times that day) eventually becomes a whole workout, not gonna lie. Then on top of all that you have to check in and check out everything correctly, so everyone knows where everything belongs, and nothing gets lost. That's a huge part of being a stylist though, and something every stylist has to do, and it was a huge learning experience for me that the job really isn't all fun and games, and can get quite stressful and tiring. At the end of the day though, I still love it.

On the other hand, my favourite thing about the internship has hands down been the photoshoots I've been helping out with. I've been on set for Highsnobiety, Vogue Australia, Milk Makeup, PAPER magazine, Yoho! Magazine (with Trippie Redd, which was pretty cool) and so on, and also been involved with a lot of test photoshoots. They're definitely my favourite part since you're working with a lot of cool creatives and seeing what actually happens behind the scenes. Steaming clothes isn't that bad after all either. Photoshoot days can definitely be extremely long, and often you're just waiting around a lot, but it's cool to see what actually happens behind the scenes on set. Another fun thing as a stylist is obviously shopping (or pulling) clothes, which I've also been a part of a few times.

photo2


So, how did I actually got the internship? Well, it was pretty much just as easy as on email and that's it. I just emailed Jenny that I wanted to assists here while I was in New York, sent her my CV and portfolio and she emailed me back in about thirty minutes saying she'd love me to help her out. Getting an internship really isn't that intimidating, you just have to reach out to people yourself and be prepared that a lot of them might not answer or might say no, it definitely hasn't been this easy for me getting an internship in the past. Internships are definitely a key to learning how the industry works and learning about the jobs you might want to have in the future, so I'd definitely recommend them to everyone who want to work in the fashion industry.

Again, if you guys have any questions, just let me know. Until next time!

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti