10.17.2018

New York, New York

Hey everyone, it's been a while! I decided some time ago that blogging really wasn't for me anymore, and I've been treating my Instagram (@lindalovesfashion) as more of a blog now for a while already. But here I am again, and many of you might be wondering why, so let me tell you something that has been happening for the past few months.

So, as some of you may know I study fashion, fashion communication to be specific, at Heriot-Watt in Scotland. For my third year I got the opportunity to choose if I wanted to do a semester exchange abroad, and of course I did, especially when one of the schools you could choose was LIM in New York. I've always loved New York and wondered how it would be like living there, so when I got the confirmation that I was chosen as one of the students to go there for a semester, I was obviously extremely happy. So for this post I decided to tell you how everything went down, what did I need to do before New York and all that. I've actually been living here for two months now, started an internship and done a lot of exciting stuff, so I'll definitely be updating about my journey a lot for the next few months.

ny2

First of all, I must say it's not the easiest process to move here, even if you're just an exchange student. There's a lot of papers to be filled out, including all of your personal information for the school and for the visa application, plus information about your insurance, bank statements, vaccinations etc. And because I'm from Finland, it made everything a bit harder for me too since I had to get all the papers translated to English. Another step after all the paper work, was the actual visa interview, which I definitely was stressing about. I was thinking it was going to be really strict and scary, but at the end of the day, it was just a lot of waiting around in rooms, nothing scary about it at all. They do need quite a few of your papers, so you need to have everything filled out correctly, but other than that, they just asked why I was going to New York, where I was gonna stay, and that's about it.

Next step was obviously packing. I'm going somewhere for four months, and I'm supposed to survive with just one big suitcase? Well I did it, but the amount of clothes I've bought here already... Let's just say it might be a struggle to fit everything in when I go back home.

ny1

The flight wasn't anything too bad. Best part about long flights is that you can watch movies, because they make the flight go so much faster. Both of the airports are quite far from Manhattan though, so it cost be about $100 to get a taxi from Newark to my dorms on Upper East Side. There's definitely cheaper ways to get to Manhattan, but I had been travelling all day and just wanted to get to dorms as soon as possible.

And I actually think this is the perfect spot to end my post. I'll tell you how it was adapting to the city in my next one. If you have any questions just write them down below, hope you guys are having a great week!

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti